Cast: Ali Bagheri, Farrokh Nemati, Mehdi Nassaj, Majid Farhang, Mahdieh Nassaj
Producer: Saeed Bashiri
102 min, 4K, Surround 5.1, Black & White, 2020, Iran
A remote brick manufacture factory produces bricks in an ancient way. Many families with different ethnicities work in the factory and the boss seems to hold the key to solving their problems. Forty-year-old Lotfollah, who has been born on-site, is the factory supervisor and acts as go-between for the workers and the boss.
Boss has Lotfollah gathered all the workers in front of his office. He wants to talk to them about the shutdown of the factory. All matters now to Lotfollah is to keep Sarvar unharmed, the woman he has been in love with for a long time.
Born in 1972 in Shahryar – Iran, Ahmad Bahrami holds a bachelor’s degree in directing cinema. He has made few short films before directing long-length films. “The Wasteland” is the second feature film he has written and directed.
Festivals and Awards
- 77th Venice Int’l Film Festival (Biennale), 2 – 12 September 2020 (Orizzonti Competition Section), Venice – Italy (Winner of Best Film Award - Winner of FIPRESCI Award - Winner of FAI Foundation Award)
- 11th Middle East Now Film Festival, 6 – 11 October 2020, Florence - Italy
- 65th Valladolid Int’l Film Festival (Seminci), 24 – 31 October 2020, Valladolid - Spain (Official Competition Section)
- 33rd Tokyo Int’l Film Festival, October 31 – November 9, 2020 Tokyo – Japan (World Focus)
- 31st Stockholm Int’l Film Festival, 11 – 22 November 2020, Stockholm - Sweden (Open Zone – Int’l Critics Competition)
- 24th Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival, November 13 - 29 2020, Tallinn Estonia (Current Waves)
- 31st Singapore Int’l Film Festival, 26th November – 6th December 2020 (Asian Feature Competition)
- 13th Subversive Int’l Film Festival, November 29th - December 5th 2020, Zagreb – Croatia (Competition Section- Winner of Wild Dreamer Award for Best Feature Film)